Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Busy


Life has been a little busy lately, but in a very very good way. For many reasons, I have decided to homeschool Claire and William for the rest of this school year, at least. We'll see what next year brings. As a product of public school and as an educator, I never ever thought I would homeschool my own children. And if you talked to me a few years ago, I still never thought I would do it. But I am. I'm so glad we can learn, change, grow and it's OK. I don't always have to think one way. I love being able to change my mind.

We are two weeks into it, and so far it has been a blast. I know that weariness, frustration, and boredom will come into the picture from time to time, but I'm not worried. That's life. Why do I love it? To name a few reasons:

-I love being able to study The Book of Mormon with the kids every morning followed by a family prayer - what a wonderful way to start our morning with no stress of hurrying off to school

-I get to choose what the kids are learning

-We can spend as long as we need on an area before moving (ie long division with Claire)

-So much more time for enriching activities every day! (art, music, swimming, sewing, baking, etc)

-When we take field trips - we have the place to ourselves!

-I get to read with and to the kids more than a few minutes at bedtime - we read and read and read

I could go on and on. But one of the most surprising aspects of homeschool that I really did not expect was how well the kids get along now. I was worried because before, when they would get home from school, there would be bickering, etc., with all three. That has basically stopped on its own (with a little help from me). The kids are in a good mood most all the time. The after-school stress is gone. It's really amazing how that happened on its own.

And finally - I am finding so much enjoyment from planning and teaching everyday. I thought I would go crazy having the kids home with me all day, but it's quite the opposite. We have fun and I enjoy their companionship. It's all been a very pleasant surprise.


4 comments:

The Trees said...

I'm glad you're all enjoying it. I am a little nervous how my life will change next year with school. I like having the girls home with me, for the most part anyway ;)

Molly said...

You are doing awesome! Have tons of fun. And the best part is if a day comes and you just don't feel like school, it's an instant holiday! No school today kids, it's National Gum Drop Day!

Primary Female Caregiver said...

Hooray for you! We were also really hesitant to homeschool, but have loved our first year and will not be going back anytime soon. It is hard, but it gets easier as you get into a good rhythm and find curriculum you like. Hope you guys continue to enjoy the experience. Happy late birthday, by the way! :) And give me a call if you ever want to swap homeschooling ideas!

Chelsey said...

This is REALLY interesting to me ... I HATE school ... the kids are stressed, worn out, etc. I hate feeling rushed, and the kids' time at home is not ideal. I'm counting down the days until summer.

I've fleetingly thought of homeschooling, but haven't even allowed myself to think about it seriously. I know a lot of things would be better, if we did.