Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The lost tooth, literally...


Claire has had a wiggly tooth for over a week, so I was not surprised that when she came home from school yesterday, her tooth had fallen out. It had fallen out during lunch. Now mind you, this is the first lost tooth for our children - very exciting (for Claire anyway). She quickly took the tiny tooth out of the envelope the school nurse had put it in to show it off. I told her that we had better put it someplace special so that it wouldn't get lost. I retrieved a small jewelry box of hers and laid the tooth on the little cushion inside. Claire was very upset that I wanted to put it away and insisted that she get to carry the tooth around. So, I gave it to her, warning her that it might get lost. Not two minutes later, it was lost. She was very upset and almost in tears. The minuscule tooth happen to be a same color as our carpet, making it hard to fine, but find I did. I put it back in the box insisting that we put it somewhere high so that it would be safe for the tooth fairy. Claire once again was very upset and cried that she would be more careful and keep it in the box. Being the "good" mother I am, I told her that if she holds it, she's going to loose it (where's my faith in her??) and the tooth fairy won't come to our house and give her money. Claire said she didn't care and wanted to hold the box.

Well, maybe 4 minutes passed and I heard her yelling at William. He had bumped her, she dropped the box and the tooth fell out; lost again. Of course I was upset with her because the whole thing was ridiculous and told her to not to be angry with William because he didn't do anything wrong, but to be angry with herself for not putting the tooth away. She ran to her room in tears and I could not find the tooth. After about 15 minutes, I saw it by the couch, put it back in the box and put the box up high.

If Claire really didn't care about losing the tooth, it wouldn't have been a big deal if she lost it and I really didn't care about the whole tooth fairy thing. But when the child threw two tantrums, yelled at her brother, and I had to spend close to 20 minutes looking for the stupid tooth, I was done with letting her have a decision in the tooth matter. All this in the first 30 minutes since her arrival home.

In the end, the tooth made it under the pillow, the tooth fairy came and all is well. I guess we all learned something that day - motherhood is definitely a learning experience!!

Waiting for the tooth fairy

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I feel like I would have had a "see, I told you so" moment if this happened to me. Kids!

Justin, Kalee, Jackson, Ava and Gabriella Peacock said...

Congrats Claire!!!! Susan, I feel your pain...more than I wish!:) Jackson has taught me patience that I never knew I had!:)

Anonymous said...

Claire looks so cute with her missing tooth!It sounds like you all had an exciting day surrounding the lose of her tooth.

I'm afraid I was not a sneaky enough toothfairy, and eventually most of the kids caught me, and once that happened, the belief in the Easter Bunny and Santa disappeared.