Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Hobbit Day Revisited


Last year, my lovely sister informed me of a tradition among Tolkien fans called "Hobbit Day" (Bilbo and Frodo's birthday). She was making a seed cake and eating Hobbit-like fare. I thought it sounded fun, and being a moderate Tolkien fan, I wanted to join in. So this year, my sister reminded me of the upcoming day and I was (somewhat) prepared.

I can't remember what I had made for breakfast, but I was sure to eat both breakfast and second breakfast. I baked seed cake (which was delicious!) and when the kids got home from school, we had a tea party. I'm afraid it wasn't very Hobbit-like, more English I guess, but we had a great time! We've had afternoon tea parties before, but I had to make this one special. So I dressed up in something out of the ordinary, strung some twinkle lights, made some paper chains and brewed up a pot of apple cinnamon herbal tea. When the kids walked in the door, they were very confused by what was going on, but as soon as they saw the tea, my mop cap and heard my atrocious English accent, they joined right in on the fun. We had a lovely afternoon tea and I had to fight the kids off from eating all of the cake so that we could save some for Ryan.




For dinner, we had crispy bacon, biscuits and jam, cold chicken with berry sauce, and taters sprinkled with Rosemary from our garden. We had a wonderful time and plan to continue the tradition every year! Thanks Molly for the great idea!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

You really should wear that hat more often.

Molly said...

I want one of those hats! Your table looks beautiful. Belladonna Took herself would be green with envy.