Friday, April 23, 2010

Home Study

When we were visiting Nauvoo and Springfield, we spent a lot of time touring the homes of important people, seeing how and where they lived. Since I am fascinated with how other people live, I loved this. I love reading about homes, decoration, how others lived over the centuries, etc. I don't love looking at real estate though; that's just stressful and can give me buyer's remorse.

But I am currently re-evaluating my home; the feeling it gives, how it looks to company, how cozy it is, etc. But here are some pictures from some of the homes we saw. I love the simplicity; the warmth of the wood. There was not a lot of "stuff" but what little they did have was quality made. That's a good rule to remember. I'm working on that; when I need something, instead of buying the cheapest junk out there so I can have it right now, I'm waiting until I find something of quality, and something I love (and of course, can afford!). It's slow going, but that's the way the world worked before credit cards.




While I preferred ultra modern and the ideal house to me was a concrete room with a drain in the middle so that I could hose it down, my ideal has changed. I've moved from glass and metal, to wood and other natural material (not that glass and metal aren't natural materials, but you know what I mean). It's a work in progress.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Susan, I share your fascination with how people from the past used to live in their homes, and what we can learn from how they utilized their space, to make it beautiful, yet functional. I have been thinking about it since our trip.

Amy said...

While I was sooooo looking forward to visiting you in your concrete box someday... I love that you are moving toward my favorite asthetic. And yes... it's a slow-going process. But maybe that's the point.

Jennifer said...

Hey, I don't know if you just changed the photo for the blog header or if it's been there awhile... but anyway--I love Claire's dress. Very pretty!