Sunday, September 9, 2007

Garage Sale

OK, so yesterday I held my first garage sale. I got up early, put out the sign by the highway (it was big, neon yellow with bold black letters), and got everything set up. As soon as it was 7am, I had a customer; a good start. As she was shopping, another lady stopped by. Things were looking good. But then the rain started off and on. People would come by, looking for something very specific - which I wouldn't have (movies, exercise machines, etc). One lady really wanted to buy Ryan's plants he had in the garage. He had to bring them home from his office because they had developed flies and it is not good to have tiny flies in a working lab with "science experiments" going on. So he brought them home and treated them with some pesticide. If I had sold those plants - I think Ryan would have killed me. I had another guy asking about my washing machine - I thought he was wondering what I was up to, so I told him that I was just doing some laundry - he apparently thought they were for sale; nope, just washing some sheets due to a leaky diaper. Sadly, by noon, it was raining quite a bit, my sign got too soggy to stay up and I closed my business. I guess it wasn't the best weekend to have a garage sale, but I gave it a shot. So at this point, I'm just going to sell the furniture on craig's list. I did get my garage swept out, a couple loads of laundry done, and ironed a few shirts. Not too bad.

Some good news - I sold my old clarinet. I met with the buyer in St. Louis (he lived about an hour from me). Claire was with me and we promptly went to The Container Store to buy something to store all of her art supplies in. We had been keeping all the supplies in a big, clear, plastic storage bin under her bed. It was hard to get to everything and she would make a big mess in the process. It was hard for her to clean it up and I was tired of doing it. Drawing, making plans, writing notes, etc, is her favorite thing to do around the house. So, we needed a better solution than the storage bin. Enter: The Container Store. I found a perfect solution that looks great. Claire is very excited about it. I need to take a picture of it and post it, but Claire is sleeping as a I write this; it'll have to wait until morning. So with my extra clarinet money, I bought my daughter an "office" as she calls it.

It's late and the baby needs to be held and put to bed. Hope you all have a fabulous day.

4 comments:

Molly said...

Well, a good start for your first sale. At least you got the clarinet sold. Good luck at Craigslist. I just sold a window A/C on it and got a bit of spending money for my fondue tomorrow.

The Bergmans said...

Yeah for Craigslist; Craig was a great guy.

Sorry to hear about the garage sale, too bad we're too far away to buy your cool stuff.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry the garage sale was a bit of a bust. Did you sell anything? I bet Claire is just delighted with her new office!

SC

Anonymous said...

People should read this.