Friday, April 25, 2008

When things go wrong...

I noticed it had been a while since I last wrote. I guess I have been lacking inspiration lately. Life suddenly got stressful and busy. We were cruising through life, la-de-da, and BAM!!! Things blow up in our face. Now to reassure you all, we are all healthy (for now, at this point I expect anything to happen) and we have a roof over our head (and it doesn't leak, though I wouldn't be surprised if that started either). I know things could be worse, I really do...and I know challenges in life are an opportunity to grow and learn. But in the moment, it really bites.

Here is a question for the cosmos - why is it that right when you can't afford for something to go wrong - it inevitably does? It reminds me of when I lived at home and every time my mom washed her giant van that took several people to wash, it would rain the next day, without fail. It was a joke that if we needed rain, we should just wash mom's car.

Or like the day some one's health insurance lapses between jobs or whatever, they have a major accident. As my dad always said, "When one thing breaks, everything breaks". I can't remember a time growing up when only one major appliance broke at a time, it was always the car and the AC, or the washer and the refrigerator.

Now that's all fine and dandy when you have the cash to spare. "Sure honey! We have the $1200 to fix the car and the $400 to buy a new washer! Let's hop in our unbroken, nice car and head down to Lowe's and get ourselves a new washer. And while we're at it, lets buy a new matching dryer. Hey, maybe we could look at getting our deck replaced too!"

So if anyone has as answer or theory to my original question: "Why is it that right when you can't afford for something to go wrong - it inevitably does?" I would be happy to hear it. I guess the best thing for me to do would be to stop whining, say a prayer (and maybe cry a little) and get to work...

3 comments:

Molly said...

Our family motto is: "It never rains, but it pours." That is the way our life goes too. I don't know why and I certianly don't like it.

The Trees said...

I'm definately feelin ya Susan. So, ummmm no answer here. But I agree, nothing to do but cry, some days a little more and then get to work. And you know one day when our kids complain about the same darn question, we'll be able to say with sincere empathy, "Yep, I totally know what you mean, that question is timeless." Good thing some moments don't stand still, eh.

Angie said...

Maybe we should ask Murphy that question, after all, he is the one who made "the Law," right?