Friday, July 23, 2010

Happenings

It has become clear to me, that my yard is trying to kill me. I have never seen so many weeds, as I have in this area. A bare patch of dirt, left unchecked, will be completely covered with weeds in less than a week. It is truly unbelievable - I have never seen anything like it.

So what have I been up to? Well, last night I spent TWO HOURS edging our yard while Ryan spent that time mowing the yard. TWO HOURS people.

Today I moved our wood pile to another place in the yard (no small feat) in order to get behind the shed, clean out behind it and mow down the weeds that have grown between the shed and the fence. In the process, I discovered several red ant nests, many, many spiders, a wasp nest, a black ant nest (complete with giant eggs - that one was really gross) and unfortunately, I sliced a toad in half with my weed whacker. I was armed with heavy duty insecticide and a can of wasp spray. It was not pretty.

THEN, I hosed down the fence and shed. I started priming the shed; it was a hand-me-down from some friends and has been super useful, but ugly. With a new coat of paint, some weed killing paper topped with pavers and mulch, that part of the yard will be much less scary and hopefully look somewhat nice. So that's it. After receiving a small sunburn, I'll finish priming this evening, when it cools down a little. Whew

Speaking of weeds, here is one of my nieces adorning Claire's hair with one.
This house has made me think twice about having a big yard at our next location. It's nice in theory, but those commercials and magazine pictures of families out playing in their yard with a ball or wading pool only shows the happy kids. What's not pictured are the parents in the other part of the yard, sweaty and filthy as they hack down the grass with heavy machinery or one of them sitting on the weedy yard, trying to decipher the instructions of when exactly to put down the weed and feed granuals... and then praying that the rain cooperates because there is no way a garden hose can possibly reach all of the yard...

No comments: