Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Vintage

Sometimes I wonder what part of my kids' childhood will they remember? Which house will be "home", which toys will be the ones they remember, which music, movies and TV shows will hold the fondest memories? What years will be the most poignant, which will they almost entirely forget?

Thinking back to my own childhood, I'm sure my mom could have never predicted what we would fondly remember. When my parent's sold my (and my sibling's) childhood home, there were mixed feelings. My parents needed to get out of that neighborhood and their new home was a dream of theirs. But at the same time, I would miss visiting my parents in that home, even though I ceased to live there 12 years ago. I was also amazed at their apparent total lack of sadness; they were ready to dump that place.

But now that I'm a home owner with kids, I know how they felt. This house isn't "home" to me. It's just where we live right now. But it's all my kids have known. William was Rose's age when we moved here; he doesn't remember anything else. Claire was four and though she barely remembers our apartment in University City, when we first moved to the area in 2004, she loves this house. Rose was born here (well, not technically, but you know what I mean). This house is their world. If they, for some reason, were to spend the rest of their childhood here, it would seal their attachment as mine was to that house on Colonial Dr. While I will look back at this house with fond memories and a little sadness, it wouldn't be what my kids would feel.

I don't know if any house will ever feel like "home" again. There is so much uncertainty in the world these days; it's a rare thing when child is left to grow in one place their whole childhood, as I was.

Some favorite shows when I was little, depending upon the age:
Maya the Bee
Noozles
The Smurfs
David the Gnome
The Jetsons
Anything Tom and Jerry, Disney cartoons (Micky, Donald, Goofy, etc) and Bugs Bunny
Pinwheel
Today's Special, though the dark, quiet set did unsettle me a little
Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers
Eureka's Castle
Maple Town
Some show about Koalas, I can still sing the theme song, but I can't remember the name...Koalas lead the way, on a sunny day, we all love to play...

There are more I'm sure, but this is all I can think of right now. For personal history purposes, maybe I should write some of this stuff down in my journal...

2 comments:

DoubravaFam said...

I watched the koala one too (and others) but I still can't think of the name of that koala show!!

Molly said...

Some of those shows are favorite classics of mine too, but a few of your choices, (David the Gnome) were a little to babish for me when they came out. Funny what sticks with one sibling and not another. (Of course, I watched Sesame Street right into college.)