Friday, December 2, 2011

World (ok a log cabin) Turned Upside-Down

Last winter sometime, I started this cross-stitch sampler that I found in the book Embroidery Companion found here http://aliciapaulson.com/. I love her designs and I thought this one would be perfect in the girls' room. I happily started sewing, distracted here and there by kids and life. I started with the log cabin and then moved onto the fence and it wasn't until the fence was done that I realized I sewed the fence on upside-down (in relationship to the log cabin). Now I would call myself a pretty experienced cross-stitcher and this was a major uh-oh. I was so mad that I threw a small tantrum (that Ryan witnessed) and vowed to throw it away. The fence, while easy, was very time consuming, so there was NO WAY I was going to rip it out - it wasn't worth it to me.
So I put it away (Ryan convinced me not to throw it away just yet) and didn't touch it for a few months.
After the sting was gone, I pulled it out, figured out how to make it work without ripping out a single stitch and bam! It's done. I couldn't find a wood frame that I loved, so Claire and I picked out an unfinished one, painted it, and here is the finished product, upside-down cabin and all.
I love how it turned out. It's hanging on the wall next to Rose's bed and the blue ties in with the blue in Rose's quilt and Claire's bedding. Anyway, check out Alicia's book and her blog is great. She is such a gifted lady and lately, her blog has brought me to tears.

1 comment:

Molly said...

It looks great! I haven't done any serious cross stitching in about 3 1/2 years. Until I start again, I'll just enjoy yours.