Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The (please come visit us) City

It dawned on me that I have lived away from home (where I was born, grew up, etc.) almost as long as I lived at my home. We're still a few years away, but it's coming up fast. It's funny when those scales of time start to tip the other way. I guess I could also say that I have known Ryan for almost half of my life. Weird.

For a large portion of that time, I have called St. Louis (and surrounding area) "home". I like it here. I do. When I left Texas for college out of state, I was very eager to get the heck out of there. No offence to Texas...I'm a Texan through and through, but I was ready to move on, try something new, get away from the "high school" drama that prevailed at my high school and continued at the colleges there.

I loved Utah, or bits and parts of it. But after six years, I was more than ready to go. But here? I'm doing OK. I've had my moments when I'm ready to try someplace new, but for the most part, I'm good. I like it here and I'm not anxious to move on. St. Louis was never a place I ever thought I would live, not because I didn't want to, but because it was never even on my radar. I didn't know anyone who had lived here or really even traveled here. I had nothing to identify with. Oh wait. My best friend in 4th grade came here for a family vacation and she sent me a picture of the arch. There's that.

But what makes me sad, is that I can't convince anyone to come visit us here. We haven't had an out-of-town guest in almost a year. Not one. I tell everyone how great it is here, but it doesn't work. Maybe it's us. I don't know. But it makes me sad.

Which reminds me, Kalee, you up for a visit from us this summer? We had so much fun when you came, it's our turn to come see you!

5 comments:

Kirsten C said...

If I weren't a poor college student I'd hop on the next flight to St Louis, I've had so much fun each time I've visited you guys!

Jennifer said...

I'll come visit you! You can make me dinner, and show me around town....

Molly said...

Are you trying to make me feel guilty? The problem is the cost of gas. Who can afford gas for 12 hours trips anymore? We've got to get together this summer, though.

Molly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Justin, Kalee, Jackson, Ava and Gabriella Peacock said...

YES!!!!!!!! We would be in heaven if you came!:) I cannot believe it has already been almost a year since we came to visit. That was so fun. We will be gone this summer while Justin is doing a rotation in AZ BUT we will be here the rest of the summer. Oh, please come!!!!!