Thursday, July 5, 2007

My first blog

So this is my first time to have a blog. I gave into peer pressure and finally got a blog. I'm hoping that I will like it and keep it up. I also hope to find some blog friends. I don't have a clue what I'm doing, but so far it's been fun. I always have lots to say and now I have a place to say it!

Yesterday was the 4th of July. I like to have fun on the 4th, but I'm not all that into decorating my house, making center pieces, or special food. For instance, we had tacos for dinner - not the most "American" dish, but it was fast and good. We're on a tight food budget and I didn't budget for hot dogs or hamburgers into the weekly menu - so tacos was the next best thing that we already had the stuff for. Then, we didn't buy any fireworks. Who needs to when you have several neighbors with stacks of fireworks willing to share? I just don't understand the need to have new patriotic dishes, an expensive or time consuming centerpiece, lots of food we don't normally eat, special t-shirts for the kids, and lots of illegal fireworks. Holidays have gotten way out of control!

So to rebel, we had tacos, played outside, did a little housework, took naps, made cheap chocolate pudding, and put the kids to bed at a decent hour so that they wouldn't be zombies today. Call me a party pooper - I don't care! I didn't got over my monthly food budget, my kids are happy and well-rested, I don't have a bunch of patriotic crap to store for next year, and nothing or no one caught on fire due to rouge fireworks. We just enjoyed our day together and took a little break from the usual daily chores. Happy 4th!

2 comments:

Molly said...

Welcome to the blog world!

Party pooper! No, really, it sounds like you had a great day and did just what we should all do on a holiday, relax. We went to see fireworks at the local spot, we were next to a crazy drunk. Next year, we'll stay home...
Molly

SLC said...

you gotta love those drunks...