Tuesday, July 10, 2007

My First Garden
















I remember my parents attempting to start a garden several times over the years. I grew up in Texas and it can get very hot there. The soil in our yard was fairly horrible and we never got anything to grow - at least not from seeds. For years our little raised bed in the side of the yard sat abandoned until my dad dismantled it due to bugs eating the wood frame. We bought some annuals from the nursery some years and attempted to keep them alive throughout the hot summer. Some years we were successful; some years it was just too hot. The only thing we ever got to grow in our yard was grass (and never in certain places of the yard - ever) and trees.

So when it came to planting my own garden, I didn't have a clue of how to do it. Thankfully, my husband had had some experience from watching and helping his parents. My mother-in-law always has some beautiful plants in her yard and knows a lot about growing things. She sent us some seeds to plant and we have been very successful with them. Now we have tomato bell-pepper, various herbs, squash, and pumpkin plants - no fruit though. Oh wait, we do have one little green tomato. I don't know if we'll ever get any vegetables (other than the one), but the foliage is beautiful. We did plant a lot of flower seeds maybe two months ago and we're just getting our first blooms. My sunflowers are getting very large and we've had to tie them to the fence so that they don't fall over. My little gardens make me very happy and I'm glad that I finally live in a place that isn't too hot for a garden. Maybe one day we'll actually get a vegetable!

2 comments:

Molly said...

What a lovely flower that pink one is. I hope some pumpkins show up on that great vine.

Funny quote today!!!

Huis said...

That cute pink flower and clean garden. Thank you for sharing.

https://www.cekaja.com/info/10-cara-menghilangkan-daki/