Friday, July 6, 2007

Scrapbooking, crafts, etc.

So last night I attended a four hour crop at my church building. It was fun, though the conversation stagnated a little due to various reasons. But overall, I got three layouts done and have some ideas for future layouts. I started scrapbooking when I was a new mom with my daughter - five years ago. I wanted to display my photos of her and for the first time, I actually had time to sit down and do something other than homework. I look back at those pages and cringe. They look horrible. I just used various colors of card stock, a few random stickers and maybe a die cut or two someone had given me. I hand wrote everything and put every picture I took in the book, whether or not it was any good. I regret my creative decisions, but I have no plans to redo it. I only have one page I'm going to redo, due to some mistakes and just plain ugliness. I think I would have been better off if I had just left those pictures in the photo box.

So now that I know what I'm doing (yeah, right), my pages are looking better. My digital camera is now very outdated and takes spotted pictures, but it's all I have right now and it will have to do. I have plans to buy a new one for Christmas for my husband and me. So, I have been enjoying scrapbooking once again, after having sworn it off a few years ago. I was tired of the pressure and perfection that comes with any craft. I've learned that you just have to enjoy it, someone will always do it better, and it will never be perfect. It's the experience of being creative and trying new things.

There are only three problems with my enjoyment of scrapbooking, sewing and other various crafts. They all require money, time, and space. I have a some time, a little money and no space. Every few months, I treat myself to a new item - a paper cutter, a few pieces of paper, new thread, etc. I'm home with my two kids all day and when they're down for a nap or in bed, I have some time to pull out the cross-stitch or a few photos. The problem is the space. The only good working surface is my kitchen table, but then I have to clear it off three times a day to eat. So, then I try a small table in the living room, but that quickly looks messy and the kids keep getting into my things. I don't have any other space other than my bedroom. I have no other living, eating or sleeping area with which to work. I'm not complaining; I don't believe in houses bigger than you absolutely need, and I don't absolutely need a craft room. It would just be nice to find an area set aside for my many projects. I'm working on carving out an area in my bedroom. I know it's not ideal, but it may have to do. I'll make it tasteful and hide as much of it as I can. Any thoughts or ideas?? Anyone?

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Hi Susan,

Now you are famous--with your very own blog! Its has been fun to read what you've been up to. Your 4th sounded relaxing and pleasant.I'm glad that you had a good day. Its god to have a Holiday!!!
We went to Champoeg Park for the 4th with Alise and her family plus Mike's parents and sister. We played Disc Golf had a picnic and rode bikes. Erik mounted an old bike seat that Alise found at Goodwill onto one of our bikes and Gavin was just delighted to "ride". In the evening we set off some fireworks in front of our house and watached our neighbors set off illegal ones.It was a very nice day. Keep the blogs coming!
Love,
Sandy