Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Sick Ward and Crazes

It's a little after 1pm and both of my kids are asleep in bed. Claire is home from school again today. She had a fever yesterday and went to the doctor - nothing but a virus. She went to school today, but had to come home after a couple of hours. William is fighting a cold, but has had no fever so far. We all have swollen throats - you know how it goes. So the house is dark and quiet today. I stayed home from work to take care of the kiddies, and I'm using this time to get a few things done around the house (laundry, paperwork, bills, etc.). This is the first day I've been on the internet is about a week. I go through cycles where I'm great about checking and responding to emails, I write in my blog every day, post lots of pictures, etc. Well, as you guessed, I'm on a "I don't want to deal with it or think about it" cycle. I dealt with a very stressful insurance fiasco a few weeks ago and it made me not want to take care of any "business" for awhile. I finally looked at my pile of bills today - saw the due dates - and had to jump back into the business side of life, emails and all.

I don't know if it's just me, but I go through all sorts of crazes when dealing with life. I go through the "let's fix up the house and repair, repaint, and re-do" craze, the "let's eat healthy and cut out all junk" craze, the "lets be very careful about our money and not buy anything unless we NEED it" craze, the "I'm going to write in my journal, read my scriptures, do everything right spiritually all the time" craze, the "I'm going to totally re-vamp my parenting style and read tons of parenting books" craze, the "I'm going back to college" craze, the "lets socialize and have everyone over all of the time" craze, the "I'm going to go the library every week and read at least a book a week" craze, and the "I'm going to keep my house spotless and throw everything away that we don't need/use" craze (to Ryan's annoyance, this one happens a lot) etc. I try these thing (among many others) for a few day/weeks (I don't usually go longer than a few weeks) whole-heartedly and then I get burned out or something goes wrong or someone gets sick and then it's over. I usually slip back into eating badly, watching too much TV, letting the house go to pot phase between crazes. These slips may last a few days or a few weeks (or in the case of fixing up the house, a few months). Now don't get me wrong, I don't get depressed or anything, I just get lazy and tired.

Does this happen to anyone else or am I the only crazy person that does this here? Just thinking - I'm on a couple of crazes right now (eating healthy and trying to fabulous every day - cute clothes, make-up, hair, and accessories etc.). Looking at myself today - I think the looking fabulous every day craze is out the window. Illness can do that to you.

I had better take advantage of having two sleeping kids in the middle of the afternoon and either get a few things done, or take a nap. Hmm...I think you know which will win out.

1 comment:

The Bergmans said...

Yup...I think we all pass through phases of crazes- Ha!

Mine has been to try cooking lots of new things- but that has happened because we have had a few invites to eat at others' places, so I haven't been required to cook meals every night this week.