Wednesday, March 5, 2008

A little story...

It's 5:15am Tuesday morning, we're all fast asleep, and the phone rings. I poke Ryan to go get it; he runs down the hall and instead of grabbing the nearest phone in the living room, he goes for the kitchen phone instead, allowing the phone to ring another couple of times. My thought at the time: for crying out loud man! Pick up the phone!! He comes back a minute later to inform me that school has been canceled. I immediately turn off the alarm and go back to sleep. I am awoken two hours later by the breathing of my two-year-old next to my face. (I can't tell you how many times he has scared the c*** out of me doing this.) Time to get up.

My 5-year-old quickly follows her little brother's lead and wakes up ready for school. I let her know that she has no school. She has mixed emotions. She's ready to go back after the three-day weekend (and lets be honest people, I'm ready for her to go back too) and show off her new backpack. But she quickly makes herself comfortable with some cereal and cartoons.

The weather outside is bad and promises to get worse. The roads are icy and it's snowing. Another day stuck inside the house. Hubby is sure he can make it into work (frankly, I'm surprised he's even willing to try after having almost been killed on the way home the night before, due to ice). I point out that though he may make it in, he may not make it back. After a little persuasion, he sets up camp in our bedroom with the card table and my laptop.

I spend the day cleaning, doing laundry, keeping the kids happy, paying bills, taking a little afternoon nap, etc. It's a nice day overall.

The weather did in fact get worse and it didn't stop snowing until late that night. In the end, we got about 5 inches, St. Louis got about 10. Good times. So that's my little story - interesting? Not really. Clever? Certainly not. Gets the job done for getting rid of my guilt for having not posted anything lately? You bet!!

No comments: