Friday, September 18, 2009

Calling all people with a better 'eye' than me!

We need to repaint our house before we sell it. It's not only because I don't like the current maroon/orange combo we have going on, but because the paint is peeling and dirty looking. So here's the problem: I know what color to paint most of the house - white because that's the color of the gutters and garage door. White works; but my problem is with the trim. So here's where I need help: what color do I paint the trim? The brick is a terra-cotta color; I've been thinking green, but I don't know. So here's the house:

This is upclose with the brick, trim and white all together.
So PLEASE suggest something, if you can. And let's be detailed people, none of this "Blue would look nice" business. Give me shade descriptions and why it would work with the orangy color. Thanks! I'm relying on some of my very artistic friends/family here - HELP!!

Oh, and here's my work closet. I haven't painted it or anything yet. I have plans to make a message/idea board to put up on the right wall and possibly a peg something or other to hold bobbins, etc on the upper left side. I can't take over the whole closet, I still have to store our movies and CD in there since there is no where else for them to go (the cabinet next to the chair) and all of our photo albums are up higher, along with the bath towels on a high shelf above my little "table". It's not great, but it's out of the way, I can close the door on it, but open it up to the living area and keep an eye on the kids too. So while not perfect, it's something!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm beginning to think you perhaps live in Webster's house--what is this mysterious closet/craft room you have here? What other secret stairways and passageways don't I know about? I think my linen closet ought to take a few tips from yours.

Anyway... paint colors. I'll have to think on that a bit. My initial reaction is probably not all that helpful--to paint everything white. You lose the whole "accent color" thing that way, but it would probably brighten it up. But I'll ponder on that one.

gwennythepooh said...

Okay, so HGTV says to have three colors on the front of your house. One color would be the white, the second would be the brick color. I don't like the current color with the brick. It just doesn't go. An emeraldy green may go or a darker brick red. I would get some paint samples from the store and see what you like. Or at least some paint paper/chip thingys. By the way, why are you selling your home? You aren't leaving me already, are you?

Amy said...

Our brick is the same color, and our siding is a very light beige/cream color, with white gutters and door. We wanted to go with green for the shutters (like sage only a little darker) but our neighbors had that color and we didn't want it exactly the same. So we went with a muted blue, and I think both colors work well. So... one of those.

Blue would be your complementary color, incidently. And also we could be house-twins. :)

Molly said...

Where in your house is that closet? I can't think of where that is. I don't have any idea on colors. You know all my color choices in the past have been, well, what can I say about grape purple, toothpaste green and butter yellow?

Sandy said...

I love your new office. Great use of space.

As for the colors to paint your house...when it was time to paint mine, I drove around and looked at the colors that they were painting new homes.( or you can look for other older brick homes that have nice color combo's) I took some pictures, then went to the paint store and got some paint chips and then I actually took the paint chips to some of the new houses to see how well they matched. I then bought some small paint samples and tested them on the side of my house to see how they would look. Painting your house is a big investment in time and money, so I think it is worth doing your "homework". In the end I was quite pleased with how my house turned out -- unlike the time previously when I did NOT do my homework.