Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Our Bread and Butter (literally)

The roads have been cleared, the snow is melting (barely) and my husband is back at work, allowing me to do a little blogging. I did take lots of pictures of our snowed-in weekend, but the camera is really taking lousy pictures, and my photography skills, or lack thereof, doesn't help the matter.

To keep the kids busy on Thanksgiving Day, I had the kids make the butter by shaking cream in little jars. It was so easy and so good, that I think we'll make it a Thanksgiving tradition. It isn't really economical to make butter this way, but it sure was a treat.

After the buttermilk is poured off - you get lovely butter
...and yummy buttermilk for pancakes the next morning!

And what goes better with homemade butter, than homemade bread? So good!

I really do love to bake, but limit my sweet baking to once a week for Family Home Evening. The kids have a great time "helping" - actually, Claire is quite helpful now, getting ingredients and reading the recipe as I mix. And Rose? Well she just enjoys sitting on my mixer, or as she calls it, her boat.
Happy baking this season!

No comments: