Friday, January 7, 2011

Tornados and such

Growing up in Texas, right in the middle of Tornado Alley, we had our fair share of bad storms. I remember school being canceled when a tornado went right through our neighborhood, ripping off roofs, tearing down fences, throwing peoples' sheds around and flipping cars (on our street). Did my family and I go into the basement? NO! Why? Because in Texas, people don't have basements. Nor did we bunker down in the bathroom with a mattress over our heads. In fact, I slept right through it.

So here in Illinois, we get some nasty weather too. Our neighbors, who all have basements, have invited us to join them should there be a tornado. We thanked them, seeing as how we don't have a basement. However, through all the sirens going off, I have yet to panic. So when we had a tornado in our midst the other week, did you find us in our crawl space? Nope, we were on the front porch watching the storm go by with lots of loud hail and lightning.

I caught this right as some thunder hit us - surprise!

Watching the storm

1 comment:

Molly said...

That was such an exciting storm. It took the roof right off the high school gym too! During that storm, I was standing on the porch with mom and Scott.

Several years ago when I worked at Philmont, a tornado came through. It was a first for the area. Did I run and try to seek shelter among all the tents? Nope. I stood out in the parking lot like a fool and watched the tornado go by. It was great!