Monday, May 14, 2012

Polliwog

The other week, after some rains, we went on a hunt for tadpoles.  We had seen some in a puddle in our neighborhood, but wanted to locate one not so close to the road.  Thus our hunt began.  We got very muddy and wet; and saw a giant dead snake, but not one tadpole.

There has to be one somewhere!
 Keep looking
 This is getting old
 Defeat

So we went to a different locale - a local park that is essentially a muddy trail through the woods next to a fast running creek and around a giant pond.  We love this park, but it has its hazards.  We saw lots of frogs jumping into the pond as we walked by, but no tadpoles yet.

A little story: Ryan and I were leading the way down the path with the kids trailing behind.  We walked over a wide earthen bridge (covering a large drain pipe) that had no railing and dropped several feet into the pond.  Well right when I walked over the bridge, I had the thought pop into my head that I should turn around and wait for Rose to cross.  Right when I turned around, watching Rose come to the bridge, she wasn't looking where she was walking and walked right off the side and started sliding down the steep bank that dropped off to the water far below!!  Ryan was closer (he turned around when I stopped to wait) and screamed and grabbed her on her way down.  Now I'm sure had she fallen, we would have been able to quickly rescue her, but it would have been terrifying for her (and us).  That little girl has angels watching over her, I am sure!

In the end, we went back to our original sighting, caught one tadpole the kids named Jeffrey, which Ryan killed when he tried to change the water :(

No comments: