Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Reworking Part 2

Something else I have been reworking is our diet.

During the summer, we got lazy.  I was stressed about the house, stressed about the yard and in the summer, my tiny kitchen becomes an oven when I use the oven.  So our diet (what we were eating) took a hit.

So a few months ago, I started changing things.  I started slow so as to not shock anyone or cause a rebellion.  Here are some examples:

I replaced ____ - with _____

  • white pasta - whole wheat (which I usually use, but I was trying to get rid of some food storage and got lazy)
  • ALL white bread - whole wheat or another grain bread 
  • NO HFCS or MSG, etc.
  • We've almost eliminated ALL white/processed sugar from out diet entirely - which is really hard because it's in EVERYTHING!!  Instead, we use raw honey, coconut sugar, maple syrup or brown rice syrup.  But even with those, we limit our sugar intake big time.
  • LOTS of veggies everyday (new veggies for us - kale, collard greens, diakon)
  • We eat fresh fruit everyday, but limit it.
  • Dairy is gone, except for some yogurt the kids have occasionally.  We use non-dairy alternatives and rice milk.
  • Meat  - with tofu, quinoa, beans and a variety of food that contains protein
  • Desserts are now dairy/egg/processed sugar free - what's left?  Tons!!
  • No more processed flour - it's all whole (white and regular) wheat, quinoa, barely and oat flours.
Did this happen overnight?  No.  We're still phasing things out and bringing in new things.  




Why have I done this?
  • a few people in the family were developing belly fat
  • I was tired all the time with headaches to boot
  • people were stinky (gas-wise) and now we're not
  • our genetics - we saw different family members struggle with health and now we're trying to be preventative
  • Ryan and I were not sleeping well
to name a few. 

More to come - lots going on around here!




1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Glad you can be so open and honest about your gas.