Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Lessons and music stuff

Ryan and I bought a new digital camera with our Christmas money. Our old camera only had 1 mega-pixel, so our pictures were very grainy. It's been a good little camera, but it is nice to have this new one. The only problem is: I don't really know how to work it. So I only have a few pictures to share that I haphazardly took before church and a few pictures from our old camera.

Today has been busy; Wednesdays always are. I have six students on Wednesdays and they all need something different (reeds, help finding solos, audition music, etc). One of my students also plays tenor sax in the jazz band and his parents will only allow him one private teacher - so I got to teach a sax lesson today (and find him a solo). So now I teach bass clarinet, Eb clarinet, and sax in addition to my normal clarinet students. Lots of fun. I picked up two new students last week and one more today. The reason for these three new students is simple: the band just had their big semester try-outs and all of my students beat the pants off of everyone else. My students now sit in the top chairs of both bands and one of my students in the lower band beat out a kid I don't teach in the top band. That shook this kid up a bit and he is now one of my newly acquired students. I guess we're doing something right.

Now I know a lot of you reading this were once in band/orchestra/choir - so you understand what I'm talking about - sorry to the rest of you. I also know this is a very boring topic, but seeing as how I had nothing to write about, this is what you get. Now to reward you for putting up with this post, here are some cute pictures:


Claire before church last Sunday - new camera

Her hair does this naturally when I put it in a pony-tail. No curling iron folks.

William looks angry, but he was just trying to get up. He had been sitting there watching TV while Ryan took a nap. In any case, I think William has very expressive eyes.
That is quite "the look".

While trying to get over my cold Monday, I took a short nap on the couch while William watched cartoons and Claire was at school. This was the first time I've fallen asleep while William was awake - alone. He was a good boy and I was not in a heavy sleep. Anyhow, he was watching Spongebob and I guess a scary part came on because William came over to me and whispered in my ear "scary...scary...scary" over and over. It was really funny. When I got up, this was how I found him in front of the TV and yes, that is a bag of crackers dumped on the carpet.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

yes, the crackers or what not dumped on the floor. This is what you get to wake up to when you are so sick that you actually close you eyes for a few min. during the day! Got to love it!

Molly said...

Great job on your music students. You must be a great teacher! Good luck as you add more to your group.

I've taken naps like that and woken up to a sleeping kid and a mess. I'm just so happy they took care of themselves quietly for a little while and let me rest that the mess is worth it.