Wednesday, January 9, 2008

William's Quilt

I have never made a quilt before, but I was determined to make at least one in my life. I thought that I would give it a try and if I liked it, I would learn more about it, etc. So I started this quilt almost a year ago when I knew that we would be buying a house. I already had the color scheme picked out for William's room: green and blue. My design taste is a bit modern, as my friends will tell you. So when I was choosing colors for William's room, I didn't want the typical navy blue, but something with a little more pop (as you will see from the photos). My parents did not like the green wall, but then again, they have lived in a house of white, beige and blue for the past twenty years or so. I've learned that you can't please everyone when decorating a home, you just have to do what your happy with.

This was taken before I put on the baseboards.

I threw together this pillow with the extra fabric from the quilt. It says "William J."

William playing with his car in the blinds. This was a rare happy moment this past week. I took him to the doctor today and it turns out he has an ear infection - that would explain the excessive grumpiness.

A comparison of the old and newly painted baseboards. Do you see what I was dealing with? Amazing what a little paint does.

Another comparison photo - this is the last baseboard I have to paint (it's the one I can't remove due to the phone jack).

Claire was very cute today - she stayed home due to a cold. She spent the day keeping the house clean. While I was at work, Claire apparently cleaned the whole house. She was so proud of her work.

I was playing the piano and William had been watching "Finding Nemo". It was to the part where Dorey and Marlin were in the whale's mouth and were about to get blown out. William came up to me and started patting my back saying "It's scary mom, it's scary." Over and over while he continued to pat my back, reassuring me it was going to be all right. What cute babies I have.

3 comments:

Molly said...

The quilt and pillow look really nice. You did a great job on it. Are you sure that is your first quilt?

Jennifer said...

Wow--looks great!

Justin, Kalee, Jackson, Ava and Gabriella Peacock said...

Susan, I LOVE the quilt and the wal, and the baseboards, and the pillow...I just love all of your projects! You are so talented. The blue and green are the exact colors I have for Jackson! I have been wanting to make him a hockey blanket to try to tempt him to sleep in his big boy bed and not his crib. I may have to ask you some advice when I get myself organized!