Thursday, August 6, 2009

something old, something new, something broken, and something's on fire...

When I was in Texas, we went to a gigantic flea market called First Monday in Canton, just a few miles from my parent's farm. This was my first time to go and I had no idea just how enormous this thing was. There was everything you could possibly imagine there. Inside the giant hangers, most of the booths were selling new items or expensive antiques. There were beautiful things inside, but not was I was looking for. Outside, among the trees were row upon row of booths selling rusty old junk - just what I was looking for! This was not "garage sale" type of stuff (clothes and lot of broken kid's things), but pure flea market junk. It was like going on a giant treasure hunt. Ryan and I had so much fun, despite the heat and temp of 104. We bought all sorts of fun things and loaded it all up on the wagon. My poor mom and sister went with us for hours - they were good sports. Here are a few of my finds:

I use this for storing my sewing notions, scissors, needles, etc. It works great on my work table!
A much needed spice rack - made from an old tool box organizer - the wood is super old and really beautiful. No more cursing as spices come tumbling out every time I open my cabinet.

An old hand-stitched pillow case I plan on turning into a dress for Rose for next summer.

My boots - both vintage and VERY nice (Larry Mahan's and Prada). I can't wait till it gets cooler so I can wear them!
There were a few other items, but I don't have pictures of them yet. Another post.

The week before we went to Oregon, Ryan and I worked like mad to put in a new patio. It is mostly done - we just have to finish one edge and reseed the grass around it. We bought a patio cover and some furniture (end of summer is a great time for patio sales!) for it. My dream patio would have a wood arbor with climbing pants and cool, old second-hand furniture, but in order to enjoy the patio now, before the end of summer, we had to move quick. While the mosquito netting is ugly, it is an absolute must in Illinois. We have the meanest mosquitoes - they will bite through your clothes. We LOVE LOVE LOVE the patio and eat dinner outside every evening.

My new recycling bins from the city, it only took them two years to get them to us!

A sad accident. While we were gone, an animal (I'm guessing a raccoon) tore apart our bird feeder to get at the sunflower seeds.

And lastly, my sad dryer. It apparently caught on fire last night while I was drying a load. Luckily, there were no flames (that we know of) and all that happened was a melted cord. So after a visit from a repairman and $45 later, he will come out next week and put in a new terminal and cord.
So until then, we will be using nature to dry our clothes. I should be doing that again anyway. What is it with fire and my house? There is something about that garage, I tell you...

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Your patio looks great! And Amen to that mosquito comment. As I do every year, right now I'm kicking myself for buying a house with a lake directly behind it. A complete breeding ground.

Stephanie said...

Love all of your finds! And cudos on the patio! You constantly amaze me with all you guys do!

Sandy said...

Fun to see all of your new treasures! The boots are fabulous. The patio is really beautiful --quite an upgrade from the previous one. I hope that Ryan's wrist is recovering from pounding in all of those stones!

Molly said...

I loved your treasure finds. I had a great time hanging out with you and Ryan at Caton. You two were so funny! Everything looks great. I am always amazed at what you and Ryan do. I wish I had half of your talent. Nice job!