Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Reality Family Home Evening











Through various visits, I have discovered that a New Year's resolution for many of you is to have consistent FHE. In the past, we get something in most every week, but it's usually haphazard and on various nights. So like many of you, one of our goals for the year is to get in the FHE habit while the kids are little so that hopefully, they will not rebel from the weekly FHE when they're teenagers (I won't get into the realities of that right now, just let me live in my fantasy world for now). SO...I decided to document with photos our typical family home evening meeting. Now mind you, this is real life people: messy home, bad hair and all. Once again, I know some of the photos stink, I'm still learning. So here you go, a real family home evening in our home (this was one of the better ones, William wasn't off in his room trying to put himself to bed - I think the treats kept him around)...

...the evening begins with Ryan playing primary songs on the piano while the kids run around the living room like maniacs while I gather my materials.

Then we have our lesson (short and to the point), sings a few songs (usually popcorn popping several times and a few others), read the scriptures (maybe 8 or 9 versus), say a prayer (which I did not photograph - understandably) and have a treat. This week, it was snickerdoodles. They were a hit. So there you go folks.

I hope all of you are having success in your homes - I don't really know how much my kids are getting out of the lessons, but at least we're trying, right??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I figure you get blessings just for being obedient--so way to go!
Keep up the great work. The kids will have happy memories of FHE and I discovered that they really are learning even if they don't appear to be.

Molly said...

That's great! I love the pictures. The one of them running like maniacs is just what it's like at our house. Through the entire scripture reading we have to stop about every 6 words and say "Kid, stop jumping and sit down!" or "Kid, quite hitting your sister and sit down." And the the kids fight over who gets to sit next to dad or who gets to sit on the red mat square. Lessons are hard because we have two that are older and can handle real lessons and two that are young and need quick, simple, easy lessons and one who just crawls around, not caring about the lesson.

Good job doing FHE! For all the running, fighting and giggling going on, things do sink in and one day they will amaze you with their knowledge and you will think, they were listening!