Monday, March 9, 2009

My Little Klepto

William is going through what I hope is a phase. He's our thieving magpie, pack rat, kleptomaniac; whatever you want to call it. Don't get me wrong, he's not stealing from stores or anything like that...when he sees something he likes around the house, he puts it in what Ryan calls, "his warehouse" (the shelf in his closet). So whenever I'm missing something, I go look in William's warehouse. I have found my car keys, my combination lock for the gym, Ryan's USB pen drive, Ryan's measuring tape, the camera tripod, trinkets from Claire's room, flashlights, a pocket knife, pedometer, netflix movie, William's swimsuit, etc. on that shelf. Here are a few photos of them.


William keeps inventory of his warehouse and keeps it closed off behind his bedroom door. If he finds you in there, it feels like he's a club bouncer...he comes in with his arms crossed, scowling and asks "what are you doing in here?" in that deep voice of his. I also found my CD player hidden under William's train table along with various items from the living room.

Along with this thieving, William is a compulsive cleaner. I wonder where he gets that from? So when he cleaned the living room, everything was missing. I later found it all shoved under my bed. My knitting, Ryan's shoes, magazines, and newspapers were under there. I moved Rose's diaper changing station to their room and had the changing pad, wipes and basket with the diapers laying in the middle of the room until I could better arrange it. William came in later and arranged it all neatly under his train table. He also unplugged the wipe warmer and put it under there. I keep having to plug it in and he just keeps on unplugging it and putting it back under the table. After getting on to him, he leaves the wipes alone, but he is very particular with his room and toys whereas Claire could really care less. Funny kids.

5 comments:

Molly said...

That is so funny! I'm missing my brain, is it there in the warehouse? I love his "cleaning", too.

Anonymous said...

Oh my heck, Susan, that is hysterical! I love that kid.

Angie said...

At least he puts all the stuff he takes in the same spot- making it easier to find something that's missing!

Anonymous said...

What a funny boy! He keeps you guessing. I also LOVED his "all you need is Wuv" You just want to hug him!

I remember Erik went through a similiar phase of taking things, when he was about 6. After lots of searching and questioning we finally discovered that he took a 20 dollar bill from Ryan's room and later when asked why all he could say was "I've never seen one before and I just wanted to look at it". Hmmmm.

Kirsten also went through this, but she had a disgusting habit of squirrling away food. I remember finding a petrified peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a smiley face bit out of it, in my hope chest, and an uneaten "Happy Meal, with a milkshake in her closet ---who knows how long it had been there. The scary part was it didn't mold. I think because it was "chemically preserved".

Then there ewas the time I kept smelling something odd everytime I pased our front hall closet. It got so bad I had to pull out EVERYTHING in the closet and go through it. In her 72 Hr. emergency backpack I found 3 rotten, moldy, oozing oranges -- GROSS! I had to wash everything in everyone's backpack because it had dripped all over. I asked Kirsten why she put oranges in her backpack and she replied -- "I like fresh fruit" Great.

Anonymous said...

We loved your pictures, and the funny comments. You really never lose anything around your house. There is always someone who knows where things are!