Monday, March 30, 2009

Macrame I? No, you may not.

An innocent stroll through the city library revealed a gem of a handicraft book. Vintage 1973 in all its glory, may I introduce the winners:


Girls, don't be surprised when Claire and I show up to church in matching dresses.

There are no words for this, at least none I want to publish here.

What was with the beads, beans, hemp and everything brown and gold?

Speaking of gold...

And more gold.
This macrame scarf is my favorite; and what's with that hair?

In the book, this garment was described as a "hooded evening cape".
What do you say when someone shows up to your dinner party wearing this? You say
"I must say dahling, you look ravishing in your hooded evening cape".


I've threatened Ryan with this one. "Please kill that spider or so help me, I will make you that applique gardening apron!"

And for my next knitting project...
yes, the entire ensemble was knitted, plaid and all.
There were many, many more winning ideas of gifts and things to make, but I want to have something to surprise you with this Christmas!

5 comments:

gwennythepooh said...

It was the 70s and you are wondering why they used hemp?!? LOL I can't wait to see the matching outfits on you and Claire. I'll bring my camera and post pictures. Loved it!

Jennifer said...

Ah, what a great time for crafting, the 70s must have been.

By the way, I believe we had something very similar to that owlish creation hanging in my living room when I was growing up. And yes, macrame. Lots and lots of macrame. (And I never even lived in the 70s!)

Molly said...

Susan, I want one of those hooded evening capes. I want to look FABULOUS! Will you knit me one? Where have I seen that owl before? We didn't have one in the house, but it still looks so familiar. Did one of our friends have one in their house? I'm totally getting back into bean art!

Sandy said...

Oh my gosh! I actually did macrame as part of my 7th grade art class -- a lovely hanging plant holder! I'm very pleased that I no longer own it!

Homemaker Highlights said...

HAHa..I love them. That hat..wow! Oh, I wish I could think of the website that pokes fun at 70's era recipe cards..it was hilarious and had me in tears..lol.