Friday, April 10, 2009

Calling All Facebook Users

If you will notice, to the right is a poll. I am interested in knowing how many of my "readers" have a Facebook account. I personally do not have one and really don't have any intentions of getting one. However, I have had people that I'm interested in keeping in touch with send me invitations to be their friend on Facebook; problem is, I have to open an account first.

I guess I don't understand the part about people spending all of their time or free time on the computer, doing who knows what you do on Facebook? What's all the hype about? What am I missing?

And don't even get me started on Twitter - I'm bored enough with my own life without feeling compelled to spew it online only to bore others. I mean really, how many times can one write "I'm changing another diaper"? Nothing against people who do "tweet" on Twitter, but I can't get that even more than Facebook.

Now I'm sure some of you are saying to yourself, "well Susan, you do have a blog, that's just a hop and a skip away from plastering yourself via Facebook and Twitter". But I see my blog as being a journal. I write more for myself than I do for any of you. I plan to print everything out and archive it permanently in a binder somehow. I love journals and journal-writing. So you see, I don't really consider it online-narcissism, but a way of preserving our day to day lives in a different way than the normal journal or scrapbook.

So, can anyone convince me otherwise, or is Facebook a complete waste of time, useful in some ways or the latest awesome tool that I'm missing out on due to my reluctance to conform online?

SO DON'T FORGET TO TAKE THE POLL!

AND I WOULD BE HAPPY TO HEAR ANY OF YOUR THOUGHTS OR COMMENTS ON THIS.

7 comments:

Amy said...

I have an account, but I only signed up to see my sister's page. I never go there at all, except when I get those friend requests.

I vote waste of time, although you do occasionally get a blast-from-your-past person that finds you there, for good or bad.

Molly said...

I have a fun time on Facebook. I've reconnected with a lot of old friends. It's funny to go there. Some of them I wonder how they have anything to write about on FB because all they seem to do is spend time there. Others come along once in a while.

While it is fun to reconnect, unless you plan on posting pictures and updating your "status" regularly, you won't really enjoy it much. It is a time waster, no doubt, but it is fun too.... I'm torn about it myself, but I do enjoy it a lot.

Jennifer said...

Oh. My. Gosh.

Facebook.

My vote? Waste of time. But yet, I have an account, and I usually click over there like once a week, spend a few minutes, and be done with it. It's fun to see what that old friend from high school is up to every once in awhile, but I don't understand "friend collectors"... people that add people as friends because they've had any sort of lame association with them.

All I know is that I really need one less way to waste my time-- and people's pages are a mess, with things like "pieces of flair," pets they've adopted, plants they're trying to give me, and results of 80s trivia games they've played.

I just don't get it.

And this is not to say I don't do my fair share of things that are time-wasters, but honestly it seems like Facebook, Twitter, text messaging, etc. are probably going to be the downfall of an otherwise intelligent society.

Oh man. Facebook. That totally opens a can of worms for me.

But do whatever you choose--get an account. (Everybody's doing it....) But if you send me any kind of plant, pet, or "Which 80s movie defines you?" quiz, I will shun you forever. Only because it would probably be impolite for me to come over to your house and smash your computer monitor with a garden trowel.

Jennifer said...

By the way, when are we going to see a photo of that awesome banana-seated bike?

kellyclay said...

Ok so I too have a Facebook account. that I rarely check come on barely have time to update my Blog, I don't get why people spend so much time on facebook. all the pieces of flair and polls drive me crazy. I just want to see pictures and find out what people are up to, especially my friends from my mission that live over seas.

Angie said...

Had one. Canceled it. Waste of time.

gwennythepooh said...

It's true...I am a facebook junkie. I'm addicted. My veins are now pumping facebook blood. However, I spend just as much time on there as I do...say...reading people's blogs. For me, it's another way to keep in touch in my otherwise monotonous world.