Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Garden: part two

Marigolds - planted from seed, line the back drive-way.

A few of the happy sunflowers that tower over the marigolds - and me!


The pumpkin vine that is taking over our garden and the deck;
and is attacking the bush nearby.


Our one pumpkin from all of that vine which ended up growing on our deck of all places.

A healthy lunch for the kids and me. Claire picked out the berries -
I just love the colors!


Our garden is coming along very nicely. We have several squash starting to grow, lots of tomatoes about to ripen (more than I know what to do with - any suggestions?), one pumpkin, parsley, chives and we're still waiting on the green bell-peppers. Due to the high temperatures that we're having, I'm having to water the plants by hand every day. It would have been a lot easier to water them today if I hadn't cut the hose in half last night with the mower while I was mowing the lawn. Whoops. It's been way too hot and humid to mow during the day, so I had to wait until the evening and it got dark before I could finish the back yard. So I kept mowing until I hit the hose. I chopped it in half and put a few holes in it. So when I tried to water the garden today, some water came out of the shredded end, the rest squirted out of the big hole and onto me. It does sort-of work like a sprinkler now, or a really powerful soaker hose. That will teach me to mow the lawn in the dark!

Here are a few more pictures from yesterday.

Claire took this of me mopping the dining room -
I thought she did a good job.


Our new kitchen faucet Ryan put in Sat. The old one had come completely off.

School shopping at Office Max.


Claire is going to be starting Kindergarten next week. We finally found everything on her list after going to three stores. The only thing we couldn't find was a beach towel (for rest time) - though it's still summer, you can't find them in the store. I guess I'll have to try Bed, Bath and Beyond or someplace like that. Until then, she can use one of our two beach towels.

We had a productive day yesterday. Today has been a little slower. I have more photos to share, but I will in another blog. I hope you are all well and staying cool during this hot month.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Kmart had some beach towels on clearance when I was in last week... maybe $6.00 a piece? The Old Time Pottery had a ton of them at the beginning of the summer, I picked one up for $3.00 a while back ago.

SLC said...

Thanks for the help! I'll try Old Time Pottery next.