Monday, August 6, 2007

My Sister


For those of you who have sisters, you will understand my thoughts today. I have one sister who is four years older. When we were kids, we got along fairly well (it was my older brother that was usually causing me grief). Besides the time my sister tried to sell me, made me clean our room while she "supervised", and other various misdeeds, we had fun together. We loved to listen to records and play Old Maid (even though my sister cheated every time) when were supposed to go to sleep. We used to make paper dolls with our fashion plates, name each one and have beauty contests with them. Then there were the recorder/guitar duets to Silly Songs. There was a time when we didn't always get along (when we were both teenagers) but that didn't last long. Now that we both have families and live similar lives again, we are the best of friends.

I spent my 24th birthday in Hawaii with her where she lived at the time. I was there about two and a half weeks - I have never laughed so hard in all of my life. We were continuously making each other laugh with our stories and antics. That was the last time I was in her home and she had never been to mine until last week when she and her four kids stayed with us for two nights while she was traveling home to Virginia. We had a great time, though the kids were starting to get bored in our little house (the photo is of my sister and I watching our kids play under the shade of umbrellas at my home in Illinois). It's sad that we have to live so far away. I'm lucky to have such a wonderful sister who loves me for who I am - I can tell her anything without fear of judgement. Husbands are fabulous in their way, but with a sister, there is that womanly bond that every girl needs. Thanks Sis for the great times, even if you did try to sell me!

1 comment:

Molly said...

Yes, my dear sister, we have the best of friendships. For the true story about selling you, though, see my blog. :)