Thursday, August 16, 2007

Moving Day

My husband Ryan came home to a vanity/desk set in the living room, a mattress in the hallway and closet doors in the garage. His comment was "Whoa. Well the bedrooms look nice." I have been busy doing a little rearranging. I removed my old vanity that Claire never used from her tiny bedroom (which is now in the living room) giving her twice as much floor space. Then I had the bright idea to move the dresser that Claire and William share into William's closet to give him more floor space for his new train table. Well, I got the dresser in the closet, but with the doors, I couldn't get the drawers in, let alone open them. So that wouldn't work, but it was so nice in there. Of course I did the next logical thing, I took the doors down. They were those silly doors that slide so that you can only access half of the closet at a time. Taking them down seemed easy enough until I tried to do it. I was sitting on the dresser, now in the closet, with a screw driver in hand trying to remove screws holding the door up that I think haven't been removed in the past two decades. At this point, I smell something burning. A few of my stray frizzy hairs are frying on the hot light bulb directly over my head. So after dropping several screws, burning a few hairs, saying a few choice words under my breath, getting my flip flops smashed and stuck under the doors, ripping off some of the wood veneer of the door trying to remove my smashed flip flops and nearly killing William with a rouge dresser drawer, I got the doors off. Then there was trying to get the doors into the garage (I only hit a few walls and the wood floor once).So now I have to figure out what to do with the extra furniture. That's a job for tomorrow.

Tonight we had baked potato soup with baking powder biscuits. Claire helped peel the carrots, turn on the microwave to cook the bacon, chop the onions (in the food processor) and she made the biscuits all by herself (I measured of course). They turned out beautiful and the soup was delicious. I love good home cooking; there's nothing better. It was great to see Claire so proud of her biscuits and table setting. We made a big mess in the kitchen, but it was worth it to have her help.

Tomorrow is Claire's first day of kindergarten. She is going to ride the bus for the first time. I'll post a blog on it tomorrow along with pictures. Speaking of pictures, here are some now.

These are all from our day at the Botanical Garden


No comments: